Open to all high school students, it showcases scientific achievements
Research Fair, the flagship event of the UP Academic League of Chemical Engineering Students, Inc. (UP ALCHEMES) and the premiere research event for high school students in the country, will be held February 9-11, 2023 for its 22nd iteration. It continues its goal to provide a platform for the recognition of the Filipino youth’s knowledge, talents, and potentials by showcasing their scientific and technological breakthroughs in pursuit of the country’s development.
With the theme “ZEPPELIN: Adventuring with the Youth to Greater Scientific Altitudes”, the event aims at greater scientific achievements, up in the vast skies like a zeppelin. RF 2023 challenges the youth to soar high and do innovations and go beyond the unknown.
Open to all high school students in the country, Research Fair will restore its three hallmark sub-events: the Research Competition, a terminal for showcasing research projects and exchanging research perspectives from different fields; the National Science Conquest, a series of quiz bee competitions for senior high school students that aims to share emerging scientific discoveries with the public; and the Youth Science Convention, a quest that will take students through several webinars and an interactive workshop, also featuring the Case Study Competition, an avenue highlighting the participants’ creativity and innovation.
Attended by notable speakers to expand students’ and viewers’ knowledge on research:
- Kamila Navarro, a scientific writer and editor from the National University of Singapore who studied BS Molecular Biology and Biotechnology at University of the Philippines Diliman and Master of Science Communication at The Australian National University.
- Dana Marie Perez, co-founder and overall project manager of the Project Batang Hilongosnon and content creator for Sustainable Living by Dana Social Media Campaign.
- Marybeth Flonia Sato, the Lead Mobile App Developer at Studio Muse, recently awarded the Gold Award in the International Invention Innovation Competition in Canada last 2019 and the Most Innovative Teaching and Learning Resource in Science by the Department of Science and Technology
Other notable speakers include:
- Dr. Nilo Bugtai, a graduate of Doctor of Philosophy in Manufacturing Engineering in Loughborough University and a current Senior Member of both the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE EMBS) in New Jersey, USA and Society of Manufacturing Engineers – Association of Manufacturing Excellence in Michigan, USA, who established the De La Salle University – Institute of Biomedical Engineering & Health Technologies.
- Dr. Jhud Mikhail Aberilla, who obtained his doctorate degree in Environment and Sustainable Technology at University of Manchester and is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering in the University of the Philippines Diliman where he established the Sustainable Production and Responsible Consumption (SPaRC) laboratory.
With registration for all sub-events recently done, RF 2023 has also revealed its lineup of speakers and judges, all of whom are prominent in various fields of science.
During its 2001 launch, Research Fair was able to showcase 10 research entries, leading to more and more successful events. Its flexibility and growth during the pandemic strengthened Research Fair and the organization’s commitment to serve the Filipino people. For more information and updates, visit and follow the Research Fair Facebook page (@UPALCHEMESResearchFair), or send an email to researchfair.sa (at) upalchemes.org.